Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Reflection: Marianna

Our group has been working on shingling the roof and replacing the siding of John and Tamera’s house. We finished the roof yesterday, on Tuesday, so we’ve been working on pulling off the rotten wood siding and replacing it with new. I spent the first half of the day pulling a bunch of nails out of the wall, a task that is much more difficult than it sounds. It had my hands all cramped up and was very frustrating, but by lunchtime I had figured out a strategy and was pulling nails out so well Faith called me the reincarnation of Bob the Builder. After lunch, they were putting up new siding and needed both ladders, and our group has a lot of people so there wasn’t really any work for me to do. I was sitting next to the family’s trampoline taking a water break as Danny, one of the kids there who I think is about five, raced around with a tiny toy stroller going up and down the siding we had laying out while making race car noises. He brought over another stroller so I asked him if he wanted to race them, and we had fun rolling the strollers down the ramp he had built. Braxton, who was two, came out and sat in my stroller and we started playing chase, me pushing Braxton and Danny chasing us. We did that until the end of the work day. It was exhausting. I had so much fun. Braxton gave me a hug when we left, and the group that was working on the siding got a lot done.
I’ve been having so much fun on this trip. Me and Faith and Sarah wore my jacket all at the same time and I did a French accent the whole drive back from the worksite.

I saw God today in Danny and Braxton, and how much fun they had with something as simple as running around with strollers shouting. And, at the end of the day there was a huge double rainbow! The clouds looked so beautiful in between it and it was a full bow and it was amazing. It was the best day so far.
-Marianna, WPC