Friday, July 21, 2017

Youth Reflection - Emma


Overall, serving in Fort Worth has been a wonderful experience. Some of my favorite parts include working at a food pantry, playing with underprivileged and homeless children at a shelter, and bagging toiletry items at a nearby church. Working in this area has really developed my understanding of homelessness and how it impacts the community and everyone in it. Even though the reality of homelessness is sad and upsetting, it brings me great joy to see such a supportive group of churches and community centers dedicated to helping their neighbors and those in need. This mission trip has been filled with excitement, fun, and hard work. We’ve served at a different location every morning, and we’ve met a variety of men and women with interesting stories and lives. One of my favorite conversations was with a man named Michael. He was from Forth Worth, enjoyed barbecue, and used to run track at the local high school. Through this brief interaction, I found that Michael and I were very similar and held many common interests. This really put his situation into perspective for me. Many members of this community have hopes and ambitions, but have been overcome by poverty, hunger, and homelessness. To me, the work we did in Fort Worth was very meaningful, and it impacted the community and the members of WUFPC positively. I am very grateful for this opportunity to serve, and I look forward to next years mission trip and the experience and knowledge it will bring.

-Emma, UPC